Monday, January 30, 2012

So when you say the Holy Eucharist is only a symbol....




<><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><>
<><><><><><><>
I recently had a discussion with someone outside of the Catholic faith about the Holy Eucharist and it not being symbolic. This is how I explained it to her.
The most exciting component of my faith is... that there is no other way to be more intimate with our Lord than through the Holy Eucharist. We're in communion with him by receiving his body. When he is in us...we in turn are in him. He feeds our souls with his love...so that we might love him in return.
By having him in us...we are able to be more Christ like by enabling us to go out and love our neighbor. It's what Jesus wants. It's all about love. It's about having a relationship with him and with each other.
So when you say the Holy Eucharist is only a symbol....I find that bewildering.
Father Barron explains:
Jesus’ word is the divine word and it effects and creates changes into reality most profoundly.
You say that a piece of bread or wafer can't be transformed in to Christ's Body.
I say to you...just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there.
When we look at the sun...doesn't it seem like the sun is moving throughout the day across the sky? The reality is...the earth is rotating around the sun.
Is not Jesus' word the Divine Word?
When Jesus said....little girl get up...the dead girl got up.
When Jesus said....Lazarus come out. Lazarus came out.
When Jesus said....You are forgiven. You are forgiven.
When Jesus said...This is my Body. It is his Body.
Other than the presence of Christ in our liturgy and Eucharist... everything else is secondary in our faith. There is no other way to be more intimate with Christ than by going to mass and receiving the Holy Eucharist.

5 comments:

EC Gefroh said...

Beautiful! There is a prayer I pray before Holy Communion:" My Lord Jesus Christ, I firmly believe that I am about to receive, in Communion, Your Body, Your Blood, Your soul, and Your Divinity.

I believe it because You have said it and I am ready to give my life to maintain this truth."

God bless,

Victor S E Moubarak said...

Hi Beautiful Whispers.

You may be interested in this link: http://www.therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html

God bless.

A Bit of the Blarney said...

Beautiful post! Thank you!! Cathy

Covnitkepr1 said...

I write and maintain a spiritual blog which I have titled “AccordingtotheBook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

Solid Rock or Sinking Sand said...

I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come on over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd