Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Our Father...

Outside early this morning.


I once heard that Catholics say prayers and Protestants pray.  For most of my life... I always thought.... maybe other denominations were on to something in the way they prayed to God.  They have this way of outwardly praying to God that's energetic... less formal and seems to come out quite naturally.  Now as I look back... I can see the power of reciting 
 the Lords Prayer that Jesus gave us. 
Years ago... my dad was in the hospital.  It was a rough sleepless night for him and it was approaching dawn.  He asked me to pray the Our Father with him.  We both prayed and I couldn't help but notice that after we prayed... he finally peacefully drifted off to sleep.   
At my husbands grandfather's funeral... we talked to an aide from the assisted living home where grandpa had lived.  Grandpa asked this aide to recite the the Lord's Prayer with him and kiss him on the forehead each night.  Because.... that's what he and grandma used to do throughout their marriage before she passed. 
My mom had a stroke years later and she was in intensive care before she passed away.  She barely spoke.  One evening... my siblings and I decided to say the Our Father with her.  Not missing a beat... she recited the whole prayer with us.  It was something that I'll never forget.    
Now...when I say the Our Father at mass...I feel this undying beautiful bond with my parent's.
  Those golden moments... as difficult as they were.... praying the Our Father with my loved ones... have proven to be a blessing and a gift from God.   I shall cherish those memories for the rest of my life.   I can't help but to be in awe and thankful to the aide that showed an act of kindness towards grandpa.  I believe through her... he experienced the presence of God.
Looking past the grief from these last 15 years.... 
I understand now...what the bigger picture was through this powerful prayer.


Today's Gospel Reading:  Mt 6:7-15

Jesus said to his disciples:
"In praying, do not babble like the pagans,
who think that they will be heard because of their many words.
Do not be like them.
Your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

"This is how you are to pray:

Our Father who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name,
thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

"If you forgive men their transgressions,
your heavenly Father will forgive you.
But if you do not forgive men,
neither will your Father forgive your transgressions."

8 comments:

noreen said...

Hi Amy,

What a beautiful post about Our Lord's Prayer. I agree that there is a powerful force behind it and other traditional prayers. Recently, I've been praying some litanies and again, it feels powerful, beautiful and sacred. But I must say, I do like to just pray and talk to God as well.

Annie Jeffries said...

Deeply, deeply moving. Our Father - the tie that binds.

Maryellen said...

This post is absolutely beautiful. I agree to the power of the Lord's Prayer. My husband and I use it all the time.
I love your blog.

Anonymous said...

I may be wrong but I believe our faith tells us that your loved ones continue to pray the Lord's Prayer together with you, and all of us, at every Mass. You will always remain united in prayer.

The Communion of Saints, a beautiful reality. :)

momto8 said...

how true...really how could there be a better prayer than the one taught by Jesus?!

Monica said...

This is so beautiful! I'm so glad I read this!

Doreen said...

This post was so lovely to read Amy, thanks for sharing : ) Our Lord's Prayer says it all and it is so calming and powerful at the same time.
Come on over to my Whimsical Blog, there's an award waiting for you : )
Blessings,
Doreen

Maryellen said...

I re-visited this post today, and once again was edified by it. The message is so uplifting and profound.
Today, I want to thank you for the beautiful, soft music. I could hang around on your blog just to listen to the music.
Doubly blessed.